A decor diva I’m not, however decorating for seasons and holidays with youngsters is unquestionably quite a lot of enjoyable. When I discovered myself admiring the lovable entrance door wreaths and decorations within the neighborhood, I acquired an concept … why not attempt to make my very own home made burlap wreath?
Here’s the way it went…
Make Your Own Front Door Decor
In case you suppose I’m a crafting overachiever, let me set the document straight. Martha Stewart I’m not. I do take pleasure in rolling up my sleeves and getting into a DIY project when the temper (and schedule) is true, however I often stick with issues like pure lotions and soaps.
Beyond that, my non-negotiable requirements for crafting are:
- Simple and reusable
- Easy to retailer
- Quick to make
- And in fact — as pure as doable!
Granted, this DIY undertaking doesn’t completely qualify as pure since glue and paint are concerned, however till I study to make my very own paint and glue it must do! Since I meant it for the entrance door and it might be outdoors I figured I may very well be slightly extra relaxed.
How to Make Your Own Burlap Wreath
I like the straightforward, pure look of burlap and I had used it earlier than to make this burlap garland and likewise this burlap tent for the children. Not solely is it cheap, it goes with every part and could be very sturdy so it actually holds up to put on and tear over time.
While I deliberate to only make a standard spherical wreath, Pinterest gave me the concept to attempt a straightforward cut-out “wreath.” I made a decision to attempt that too whereas I had the provides out, however you may definitely simply sort out the one which pursuits you most!
Wait till you see how easy this undertaking is…
Basic Burlap Wreath
There are extra elaborate methods to craft a burlap wreath on the market, however this fundamental wreath is elegant and handy as a result of it creates that ruffled burlap look with no sizzling gluing, stitching, or stapling.
Basic Burlap Wreath Supplies
Basic Burlap Wreath Instructions
- Roll out the yard and a half of burlap and use a scissors to chop it into 2 inch by 10 inch strips.
- Tie the strips one after the other in easy knots across the metallic wreath body till the body is full.
That’s it! Really! You can brighten your wreath with a pop of colour by utilizing some ribbon to tie a centerpiece — like a family monogram — to the highest.
This fundamental wreath seems nice by itself however can simply be up to date for every season by switching out totally different colourful centerpieces. For instance, you possibly can swap out the centerpiece to vary an always appropriate “welcome” message to a pumpkin-themed wreath for fall.
Here’s how one of many wreaths turned out, which I later gave as a housewarming reward to a buddy. Isn’t it fairly?
Cut-Out Burlap “Wreaths”
These are slightly off the overwhelmed path, however if you wish to be barely extra festive you possibly can take the identical roll of burlap and make a cut-out door hanging instead of a wreath. This methodology is infinitely adaptable to totally different seasonal shapes and permits plenty of room for particular person creativity.
Not solely are they cheap to make, since they lay flat and aren’t cumbersome or delicate they’re straightforward to retailer away for the season. Win!
Cut-Out Door Hanging Supplies
Cut-Out Door Hanging Instructions
- Fold the yard of burlap in half and pin the sides to forestall shifting. Use a marker or chalk to stencil two of the specified shapes on it. Be cautious to not decide a really broad form, or else the sides could also be slightly too droopy to hold flat. TIP: You might wish to create a cardboard stencil to get the form set earlier than you mark the burlap.
- Cut out the stenciled shapes, ensuring they’re the very same dimensions.
- If you wish to paint your cut-out wreath, lay the “front” burlap piece flat on a bit of cardboard or portray drop fabric. If desired, apply painter’s tape earlier than portray so as to add patterns. Just put the tape the place you need the burlap to remain its pure colour. The tape will give a pleasant clear edge to the design.
- Allow the paint to dry fully. Remove any painter’s tape if used for a sample.
- Hot glue the outer edges of the 2 halves collectively, painted facet outward, leaving an unglued hole on the backside to stuff the house in between with previous purchasing luggage. This is one case once I advocate plastic to resist the weather, however you may definitely use fiber fill from the craft retailer.)
- Stuff the form simply sufficient to present it some quantity, however not a lot that it seems overfull and distorts it.
- Hot glue the opening closed.
- Cut two strips of ribbon to the specified size. Use sizzling glue to safe them to the facet of the wreath that can face the door.
- Then, tie the 2 ribbon ends collectively in a bow, adjusting for the space you need the wreath to hold from the hook on the door.
TIPS: It can save time and an additional step to search out coloured burlap, like this red burlap that might work nice for a Valentine’s Day coronary heart wreath.
Note on portray: Since this was for the outside I simply used a low-VOC spray paint from the craft retailer, however you may definitely make your own natural paint, particularly should you would possibly grasp these indoors.
Because the stencil-and-cut-out methodology is so easy, it’s enjoyable to get inventive with totally different shapes and equipment for totally different seasons, like this cute Easter bunny together with his bowtie and carrots.
Have you ever made a burlap wreath? What’s your favourite methodology? Share under!