I have to admit… when the capsule wardrobe development took over Pinterest, I used to be principally uninterested. As a mother, I based mostly my wardrobe rather more on perform and suppleness. Times like pregnancy and nursing required sure forms of garments and restricted my choices. Then, I found the idea of a children’ capsule wardrobe. Freedom from countless laundry, buying, and the nice seasonal switch-out? Yes please!
I can truthfully say, that is one “mommy hack” that modified my life.
The Great Laundry Monster
I used to joke that based mostly on the quantity of laundry I used to be doing, there have to be folks dwelling in my home that I hadn’t even met.
Then I found out the true downside:
Kids’ clothing apparently has the flexibility to breed. That was the one reply that made sense. I’d purchase a couple pairs of denims and a few attire for the girls and all of a sudden the clothes monster was peeking out of each closet and drawer.
Of course, their garments weren’t truly reproducing, however the children had been continually getting t-shirts from group actions and hand-me-downs from associates and I’d maintain all the things “in case they could use it one day.”
Does This Bring Me Joy?
I’ll additionally admit that I rolled my eyes greater than as soon as whereas studying The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It’s a nice ebook, however the thought of speaking to clothes appeared a little uncommon. I additionally realized that the nice majority of issues which might be essential to my day by day life don’t deliver me pleasure (laundry, children’ toys, and so on). I figured the KonMari system should not work for mothers.
It wasn’t till I used to be serving to my children deep clear their rooms on the change of seasons that I noticed the worth of her system. Their garments might not deliver me pleasure, however they liked sure gadgets and had been solely carrying these gadgets nearly all of the time anyway.
I used to be sorting by means of piles of clothes from all seasons. It all match within the drawers so I left it there in case they wanted it (as a result of the place we stay, you actually can have all of the seasons in a single week!). But they had been selecting the identical 5 outfits more often than not they usually had been stressed with all the garments.
And I used to be stressed with all of the laundry. Something wanted to alter.
Switching to a Kids’ Capsule Wardrobe
I noticed that the entire issues that made a capsule wardrobe troublesome for a pregnant/nursing mother made it good for youths!
- They modified sizes and wanted new garments at the very least as soon as a yr anyway.
- They select the identical outfits time and again.
- Having too many garments was utterly overwhelming them.
How We Switched
I made a decision to do a mixture of the 40 Bags in 40 Days Challenge and Project 333 to pare down the entire children’ garments. Rather than going by means of stuff and seeing which gadgets to eliminate (all the time more durable), I took all the things out of all their rooms (very KonMari of me) and solely allowed the issues in that we had been protecting.
Step 1: Make a List and Check It Twice
Instead of simply trying by means of garments and deciding in the event that they preferred an merchandise or not as a standards for protecting it, I made a checklist of what every wardrobe would include. If one thing didn’t match into that checklist, it didn’t keep. In different phrases, they stored two pairs of denims for the spring and summer season wardrobe. I allow them to decide their two favourite pairs of denims and the remainder had been donated.
This checklist will definitely fluctuate based mostly by yourself way of life, children’ ages, faculty (uniform or not), and so on., however that is what labored greatest for our household…
The Capsule Wardrobe Master List for every baby included:
- 10-12 shirts
- 2 pairs of denims
- 4-6 pairs of shorts
- 2-3 swimsuits
- 2 pajamas
- 2-3 attire for the girls
- 6 pairs of socks (extra on my sock system quickly)
- gown sneakers
- slip on sneakers
- 10 pairs underwear
- 1 mild jacket or sweatshirt
Full disclosure: I additionally stored a handful of different gadgets that they will nonetheless match into for a fall/winter wardrobe. I additionally stored a few gadgets that aren’t worn frequently: a go well with for the boys, wetsuits, snow fits, camo gear, jujutsu gi, and two pairs of a lot older garments for tenting.
Step 2: Choose a Color Palette
My children usually selected to put on their 2-3 favourite colours 90% of the time. I targeted their wardrobes on these colours. The boys each selected blue and purple so I constructed round these and added neutrals like grey and white.
The girls all selected pink and aqua so I constructed round this with neutrals like grey and white. They additionally had a few attire that matched the colour palette. These could possibly be worn alone or with leggings and a cardigan for chilly climate.
Step 3: Get Rid of the Extra
If garments didn’t match into the grasp checklist, they had been gone. This was the hardest half. Especially as a result of it meant donating a lot of garments earlier than I’d stuffed within the gaps. But as quickly as the additional garments had been gone, it was like the load of the world (or at the very least the laundry) had been lifted off my shoulders and theirs.
I did this on the altering of the seasons final yr (that is spherical two of seasonal wardrobes for us) and it was magical. I sorted the garments into piles:
- Keep pile – Smallest pile
- Donate pile – This was by far the most important pile. I solely donated the clothes that was good sufficient that I’d nonetheless need my children to put on it.
- Reuse pile – Second smallest pile. I nonetheless have bother throwing issues away and losing. We reused the clothes that wasn’t good sufficient to donate or put on. We minimize it into cleansing cloths, paint rags, and different home goods.
- Sentimental pile – This was truly a small bin in our attic the place I stored the few gadgets that had been sentimental to me. These included the child outfits all the children wore (that weren’t adequate to donate anyway), garments I wore as a child that they wore too (3 gadgets complete), and a few different small clothes gadgets. This bin will keep in our attic and I’ll in all probability ultimately turn these items into a quilt when my children become old.
Step 4: Fill within the Gaps
This half was essentially the most enjoyable! Looking on the grasp checklist for every baby, I made a checklist of all of the gadgets I nonetheless wanted for every of them. I checked a native consignment retailer first after which turned to on-line searching for the remaining gadgets. The checklist stored me from shopping for additional garments we didn’t want and made it straightforward to seek out the garments we did.
Step 5: Kid-Friendly Folding
There is heated debate about if children clothes must be hung up or folded. Obviously, that is based mostly on private desire. My children choose folding to hanging garments up, so that’s what we did.
These children’ capsule wardrobes match into a single drawer simply. I taught the children the “KonMari” technique of folding… or at the very least my interpretation of it based mostly on her description. It mainly means folding garments and stacking them horizontally in a drawer as an alternative of in piles. This lets the children see each merchandise so garments don’t get misplaced on the backside of the drawer. It additionally appears to be simpler for them to place garments away with this technique.
I discovered secondhand and consignment garments regionally for a lot of gadgets. I additionally used three major on-line sources that for filling in gaps within the capsule wardrobes. They are:
- Primary: Hands down my favourite on-line useful resource for youths. They carry solely prime quality staples in stable colours and most are gender impartial. They have fairly good costs and had been good for stable shade shirts, shorts, leggings, and so on. TIP: Use the code “AFF20PCT” to get 20% off and free transport on a first order.
- Hanna Andersson: More costly than Primary however I like that they’ve natural garments for a lot of gadgets. Their leggings final perpetually and my girls love their jeggings over common denims. I get underwear, undershirts, and PJs for the entire children right here since this reduces their publicity to non-organic clothes by at the very least half. Their garments additionally final a very long time. I’ve had associates have their gadgets final over a decade and for a number of youngsters.
- Thred Up: An on-line secondhand retailer that’s searchable. I’ve discovered nice offers on some identify manufacturers on this web site. This link will give you a $10 discount on your first order.
Benefits of a Kids’ Capsule Wardrobe
My solely remorse is that I didn’t start doing this sooner. Having these capsule wardrobes for youths have enormously simplified our life and laundry routine. This type of minimalist wardrobe is ideal for youths as a result of:
It Tames the Laundry and Bedroom Messes
I’m unsure how the child garments managed to multiply and take over their rooms and the laundry, however they did. Since switching, this hasn’t been a downside in any respect. I’m washing a lot much less laundry and the children aren’t overwhelmed when placing garments away.
More on my laundry routine quickly, however I additionally discovered that protecting one laundry basket in every of the children rooms simplified laundry. Now, the girls deliver their garments down, I wash it in a single load they usually take it again up and put away. Same with the boys. Their wardrobes don’t include any white clothes (this was intentional) besides underwear and undershirts. Because of this, I can wash all girls’ garments collectively and all boys’ garments collectively. There isn’t any want for shade sorting and it saves a lot of time!
I reality, it took me extra time to and write this capsule wardrobe publish than it does to do my laundry now!
It Makes the Seasonal Clothing Changes Much Easier
I used to dread switching garments with the seasons. I needed to pull all the things out of the attic, kind it, fold it, and it took hours. Now, I simply consider which garments will nonetheless work within the subsequent season and add the gadgets we’d like. Usually denims, undershirts, underwear, and short-sleeved shirts can transfer into the subsequent season in the event that they nonetheless match. With children, we’ve got to alter out clothes each season anyway (or as they out develop it) however I truly sit up for it now.
It Simplifies Picking Outfits
My children used to one way or the other all the time decide garments that didn’t actually go collectively. They’d find yourself with a purple shirt and orange shorts or patters that didn’t combine. Now, all the things coordinates and choosing outfits is a lot simpler. The solely rule they should know is to choose one stable shade and one sample for every outfit or two stable colours. Jeans go together with all the things. (Secret bonus: I like the entire gadgets of their wardrobes too so I don’t cringe like I did after they all the time appeared to choose the one shirt that I didn’t like and put on it continually.)
We Have So Much More Space!
The children’ favourite half concerning the new system? They can put their garments away in below ten minutes they usually have a lot extra space. Our girls’ room has a huge closet that was all the time full of garments. They all the time needed to show it into a playhouse and play in there nevertheless it all the time ended up a mess with garments falling off hangers. Now, the closet is a playhouse and their capsule toys (extra on that quickly) are in there. They fortunately play of their new-found play area for hours.
Kids’ Capsule Wardrobe: The Bottom Line
I completely love this technique and located the tactic that works completely for us. The specifics of our system gained’t work for everybody, however the fundamental thought will:
- Choose garments deliberately and of top quality.
- Absolutely use hand-me-downs and secondhand gadgets when attainable however move on those you don’t want.
- Fill in any gaps with prime quality gadgets that you just and your baby each love and that may final and be handed all the way down to different youngsters.
Check out the main points of our children’ spring and summer season wardrobes right here:
Final Tips for Kids’ Capsule Wardrobes
I discovered the following pointers the exhausting manner they usually gained’t work for everybody, however I’d personally suggest:
- Not together with white in children’ wardrobes aside from gown garments. Totally private desire nevertheless it simplified my laundry with my tribe of tree-climbers and fort-makers.
- Spending a little extra on prime quality gadgets that final. I used to maintain all hand-me-downs and purchase all the things secondhand to save cash. Except my stress stage was by means of the roof and nothing matched. Now, I discover we spend the identical or much less on staple clothes gadgets that last more and that the children love.
- Use on-line reductions and gross sales to save cash. I look ahead to gross sales from our favourite retailers and mix with low cost codes to get most clothes at 20% or extra off retail (generally as a lot as 50%!). Our favourite retailers are Primary (use this affiliate link to get 20% off as a new customer), Hanna Andersson, and Thred Up (use this link to get $10 off a first order).
Also, I’m the primary to confess that I’m not a fashion designer or anyplace shut. I don’t declare to have made completely modern wardrobes for my children. These are simply their capsule wardrobes that they like and really feel snug in. I’m not giving fashion recommendation, simply sharing what labored for me!
Whew – your flip! How do you deal with children’ clothes? Share your greatest ideas for others within the feedback!