Oh summer time… how I like thee. With an abundance of contemporary veggies on the farmer’s market (to not point out fresh peaches for cobbler) and many fun activities to do as a family, summer time is nearly excellent…
Except for the mosquitoes… or the occasional poison ivy… or an itchy peeling sunburn!
Of course, homemade bug spray helps chase away many of the mosquitoes, and homemade sunscreen helps keep away from the sunburn within the first place. Still, it appears that evidently in some unspecified time in the future somebody forgets one or the opposite and finally ends up with itchy, irritated pores and skin.
I all the time appear to be a magnet for mosquitoes, so even only a couple minutes of reducing the boys’ hair exterior or taking out the trash is normally sufficient to depart me with just a few bites.
Homemade Anti-Itch Spray
This anti-itch spray incorporates a mix of potent pure treatments that assist remove itch instantly. I’ve tried it on mosquito bites, poison ivy, sunburn, chigger bites, and even stinging nettle burns with good outcomes.
The secret ingredient is menthol crystals. I exploit these potent pure crystals in my pain relief lotion bars and my soothing shower melts for cold relief. Menthol is of course cooling and soothing and is commonly utilized in salves, balms, mouthwashes, liniments, lozenges, and different treatments.
I make this in a 4-ounce spray bottle, however you could possibly simply double the recipe or lower in half to suit your container dimension.
Anti-Itch Spray Ingredients
Anti-Itch Spray Instructions
- Carefully warmth the witch hazel extract in a small saucepan till heat to the contact (about 130 levels). This is to soften the menthol crystals and salt, which soften at about 115 levels F.
- Add the salt and stir till dissolved.
- Using tweezers or gloves, add the menthol crystals to the witch hazel and stir till dissolved. Avoid touching menthol with your arms, as it will possibly sting eyes or different delicate areas when you contact them after.
- When menthol is dissolved and the combination has cooled, add the aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, and important oils (if utilizing) and thoroughly switch to a sprig bottle to be used.
Use & Storage
Spray and let dry on itchy pores and skin as wanted. This will retailer for months at room temperature, however I desire to maintain within the fridge for further cooling of itchy pores and skin.
Note: The important oils could be neglected to be used on pregnant ladies or youngsters, however I’d nonetheless suggest checking with a physician earlier than utilizing in case you are pregnant or have a medical situation.
Other Natural Remedies for Itchy Skin
If you don’t have all of the substances for this anti-itch spray readily available when itchy pores and skin strikes, there are some easy pure strategies to strive:
- Apply a paste of bentonite clay and water to deal with itchy pores and skin. I additionally use bentonite clay in my anti-itch cream (use it like calamine lotion).
- Crush peppermint leaves and rub them on bug bites for a pure menthol impact.
- Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda and water for a soothing paste.
- The Native Americans used jewel weed for its skin-soothing properties. If you don’t really feel like taking part in naturalist and foraging for it (thus getting extra poison ivy), you should purchase an natural jewel weed salve.
Ever struggled with itchy pores and skin? What labored for you?